Thursday, May 11, 2017

Wie sagt man Toastmaster?

Some things simply cannot be translated. FernwehSchaden-freude and Zeitgeist to name a few. And in English, the seemingly simple term "toastmaster" apparently doesn't have a German doppelgänger. You've got your Straßenredner, Tafelmajor and Sprecher, but I just couldn't find a short and sweet translation for a plain ol' toastmaster other than: Jemand, der bei Diners Toasts ankündigt oder ausbringt und Tischreden ansagt. So, just as we have adopted ersatz, gesundheit, wanderlust and hundreds of other expressions, our pals across the pond have picked up a word of ours, das Toastmaster -- or if you're feeling especially German -- das Toastmeister

But enough with the vocabulary lesson! I am myself a Toastmeisterin and this past weekend got pretty competitive at the area conference. For those who are new to the toasty world, Toastmasters is an international organization that helps people become better public speakers and leaders. No bread required. 



I took part in the Evaluator Contest competing against eight other people. We watched a speech then were taken to the official evaluator holding room and given five minutes of silence to organize our thoughts on paper. Then we went on stage one by one to constructively evaluate the speech. While waiting, I sized up my competition. I was the youngest by far. Everyone else could have 
been my parent or grandparent. Perhaps the most memorable thing that happened during my 15 minutes or so in the waiting room was the advice one of the other competitors, an older woman, gave me. "When you get older like us you don't really have as much hair to shave on your legs anymore," she said. "It gives you more time to tend to your mustache!" 

Before you ask, no, the award isn't toast-shaped.
Another quote of the day came during the networking workshop I attended before the contest. As the speaker was wrapping her talk up, she said in a burst of inspiration, "Now, my fellow Toastmasters, go forth and multiply!" She paused for emphasis and then it was clear that she realized what she'd actually said as a gradual pink filled her cheeks. "Your network! Your network! Your NETWORK!" And, in typical Toastmaster fashion, we all began to applaud the moment out accompanied by a sprinkling of laughter. 

Apparently Wilsonville, Oregon has a thriving Shriners community

The conference was held in Wilsonville, which is just outside of Portland, at the Al Kader Shrine Center. I'm no expert on the Shriners, but from my limited Wikipedia-ing and the items that were on display in the building, I'd say it's the Freemasons meets the Elks Lodge. All-male organization, full bar and lots of old framed photos hanging around. But I digress. 


Mingle mingle mingle.

The day ended on an inspirational note with the International Speech Conference. Nine Toastmasters at the top of their game gave speeches about everything imaginable. Having that last phone call with their father. Being stuck between a hybrid and a hard place. Learning to ballroom dance at the age of 60. Maybe someday I'll be one of those seasoned Toastmasters bringing tears to the audience's eyes. 
Say hello to the third place Evaluator!
On a hot Berlin day at the American Embassy, a Foreign Service Officer told me to join Toastmasters. I never would have guessed where that advice would land me two years later. I suppose it just goes to show that you just don't know what group, person or experience will take you where you want to go. I guess often times we just don't know where we even want to go. I can't wait to see where Toastmasters, or PRSSA or Coursera or who knows what else, leads me in the next few months and years.  


  
Chatting with an FSO in Berlin. 

So, thank you fellow Toastmasters and honored guests. Well, I could talk on and on and on about Toastmasters, but for now it's time to study!