Friday, May 5, 2017

Alles neu macht der Mai

They say April showers bring May flowers, so I suppose I'll make like a lily and reappear after my long Winterschlaf. Fall will forever remain my favorite season, but spring is a close second -- biking is palatable once more, sundresses come out of the back corners of closets, fruits and vegetables are finally ripe. Best of all, though, is finally seeing all of the Oregonians emerging out of their caves after hibernating for five gray, rainy months and blinking into this bright, sunny world we almost forgot existed. Slack lines come out. Frisbees get tossed. Flip flops are worn once it hits a balmy 55. 

The pool at my apartment complex turned into a real life version of Where is Waldo?.
I've gotten to frolic in the sun quite a bit -- the spring football game, Ducks Love Dogs, sunbathing in the EMU rocking chairs -- but it has been a relatively packed term. What with PRSSA, Duck TV, Toastmasters and classes, I've gotten to do a lot of what I love, just in a fairly regimented way. 

My fellow UO Toastmaster Joseph and I are taking part in the District speaking competition this Saturday.
On that note, I haven't blogged for a while. When asked by family and friends over the past few months if I was done with the whole blog thing, I just shrugged and tried to change the subject. I'm too busy. I'm writing too many other things. I'm too tired. In the words of Gandhi, "Action expresses priorities." Thus, the blog isn't done. I have a feeling I won't be able to live in both Germany and Oregon simultaneously any time soon and for that reason I'll say"Auf keinen Fall!" the next time someone asks if the blog is done.

UO football seems to be in an upswing. We won our first game of the season!

So stay tuned, my friends, my family! Spring is not only in the air, but also in my step! This summer I'll be in Silicon Valley doing the PR thing once more. It'll be a whole new cultural experience, as was D.C. last year. The closest Toastmasters club to where I'll be living holds its meetings in English and Mandarin. There is city-wide free WiFi (thanks Google) and the area is a Silver-Level Bike Friendly Community. Also, thank God for lower humidity. 
Guess which is Mountain View and which is Arlington!
There is still half of spring term left in which I'll be in a play, planning some events, producing more Duck TV and hopefully catching some rays while biking through Eugene, spending time with friends and catching up with family. But first, time to study!