Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Week of Lasts

In a week and three days I'll be sitting on a plane bound for America. With my departure rapidly approaching, the past week has been full of lasts. First there's the last rehearsal or practice and then there's the last performance or game and finally there's the last time you'll say tschüss to the people I've bonded with over the past ten months. Everything is coming to a close.


Once a BTV Mädel, always a BTV Mädel.
Earlier this week was the final concert of the year at Viktoriaschule. It was a relaxed, outdoor gig and felt a bit like my final concert at South this time last year. The seniors, or rather the Abiturienten, and I were recognized. I was definitely getting that same bittersweet feeling I did when the curtains closed on high school. I'll miss the people, learning new, unexpected things regularly and the spontaneous fun we all had together. However, it would be crazy to say I'm not absolutely looking forward to the next chapter in my musical career. If you're at a University of Oregon football game this fall, stop by the marching band section and say hi! 


Thanks for keeping it jazzy all year long, boys!
I also recently said goodbye to my other Big Band, which is not affiliated with Viktoriaschule. As a little farewell memento, I made a poster featuring all the band members from our trip way back in October to Ameland, an island in the Netherlands. We all signed it and now it's hanging in the main rehearsal space. A year after that Ameland trip I might be playing "Gonna Fly Now" in Autzen Stadium, but a little piece of me will still be jamming out in Aachen. 


Look Ma! I'm a poster child!
This afternoon was my final soccer game. I got to take my Spielerpass with me (as proof I really was a deutsche Profifußballerin) and one of my coaches gave me this awesome drawing he'd done of me in BTV soccer action. Both already have a spot reserved on my dorm room wall. I loved my soccer team here. So far it was the first goodbye in Germany to make my tummy flip, my throat tighten and me realize this is almost over. 


Wer sind wir? B-T-V!!!
 South just had their graduation and it reminded me of this time last year. There were also many "lasts" then. Up until I left I was constantly thinking, Last Math class. Last podcast interview. Last time at La Perla. Last Mt. Hood hike. Last time driving a car. Last night in my own bed. But what I've come to realize here in Aachen is that although I'm experiencing a whole new batch of lasts, I'm gathering countless, unforgettable, lasting memories while at it. My time in Aachen can't last forever, but what it's given me will.