Wednesday, November 9, 2016

To My International Friends, I Don't Understand Either

Last night I sat in my living room alongside my closest friends and watched a nightmare unfold. We just couldn't believe our eyes. For that disillusionment I could point fingers at countless individuals and groups, but at the moment that feels counterproductive, especially given the river of hate, anger and indignation flowing through social media already. Moving forward and working towards the future is all we have left now as a country and global community.  

Peaceful assembly in front of the student union building this afternoon.

Early this afternoon, I went to a career fair on campus. I went to the same one last year. It was surreal what a time capsule the EMU Ballroom had remained with all of the recruiters, banners, free pens and business cards. You wouldn't have known that just a few hours before hundreds of students had been protesting in the surrounding streets. In that way, it was comforting to know that the apocalypse hadn't struck as I had perhaps dreamed and feared it would. 

Walking back to my apartment, the unseasonably warm, gentle sunshine filled a perfect blue sky. It's days like this that I'm happy to have the freedom and safety to stroll down the street on my own. It's also days like this that I break out in a cold sweat remembering Eugene hasn't experienced a freezing temperature in more than 270 days. It's days like this that make me feel sick imagining what kinds of forests, water and air my children will play in one day. 

A long time ago, some guys decided to start a political experiment. I wonder how they would feel about today. Then again, they would be lacking some crucial context to understand why us female Americans are trembling in our shoes -- the 19th Amendment, Roe vs. Wade,  the "Nasty Lady" rhetoric. We've come a long way since Washington and friends decided on a system for their new country. That system isn't perfect, I mean, the American people actually voted for Hillary, but the Founding Fathers designed it with intent. 

I am undoubtedly concerned for my own future as well as that of my country and the world. Our democracy may not be perfect, but look at those changes we've been able to enact within this system. It's time to speak out and participate. I am as dumbfounded as you are, my international friends, about the outcome of this election. But while it's tempting to run away to Canada or Germany or wherever, it's not my place. I am an American and as an American, I have more leverage than many of those living outside of the US who will be greatly affected by my country's policies even though they didn't ask to be. Democracy will endure and that means we the people must endure as well. 

I cannot say I am happy. I cannot say I think it's fair or just. I can only say I am moving forward and ready to help with progress for all of us -- in America and the greater global community.