Friday, March 11, 2016

So klar wie Kloßbrühe

Dead Week is here once more, which means massages are being offered in the library, therapy dogs drop by campus in the afternoon, and 24 hour quiet hours have been enacted in the dorms. Between studying business calculus and brushing up on AP grammar for my finals next week, a few unexpected adventures have arisen. So far they've been yummy, fishy, and thought-provoking.


Gutes Essen lässt Sorgen vergessen. #DeadWeek
Last night a few of my neighbors in the German Living the Language dorm community and I went to the home of Matthias, our faculty advisor, to make Kloßbrühe, bone marrow soup with dumplings. In German there's an idiom, "So klar wie Kloßbrühe!" It can be said ironically like the English expression "as clear as mud" or it could be used in a literal sense to mean "obviously, clearly, of course!" Homemade Kloßbrühe is delicious, but labor-intensive. Matthias prepared the bone marrow paste and broth the day before so it could simmer overnight. The flavor! I've been consoled by chicken noodle soup, homemade macaroni and cheese, Crock-Pot concoctions, and other quintessential comfort food, but they all pale in comparison to the warmth of Kloßbrühe on a blustery winter night. It reminded me of dishes I had last year in Aachen, which was comforting in itself.

Viele Hände machen bald ein Ende. #TeamGSH

I'm grateful for Matthias's passion for cooking as well as his dedication to the students in the German department. He has made my first two terms at the UO not only delicious, but welcoming. This past Saturday, he took a couple of us on a morning bike ride to explore Eugene while chit chatting in German. Along the way, we came across a gang of turkeys. We'd whistle at them, which would send the birds into a hubbub of, "Gobbaba babbba blbababbbo bloboblobl!" The ride concluded at the cozy Hideaway Bakery with sticky buns and coffee. Anyone visiting Eugene soon-- brunch at that bakery is a must! (And you're welcome to drag me along!)


The turkeys reminded me of the velociraptors in Jurassic Park. 
And speaking of the animals in my world, I recently got a Betta fish. I've already signed a lease for next year, but I ended up going to the UO Housing Fair to grab some free gear, namely pens and candy, from the apartment complexes tabling. I definitely got my target items-- along with a frisbee, Capri Sun, flash drive, safety whistle, sunglasses, bike light, popcorn, chips, t-shirt, some reusable bags, water bottles, and a fish. A fish! They just gave me a fish! 

My haul.

My roommate and I christened her Athena because of her Greek roots (betta). We're still getting to know her, but so far she seems to be a good-natured, curious little fish. She likes exploring her new home, a decent sized vase, and seems to have an affinity for dried bloodworm. The most experience I'd had with fish before Athena was the salmon that regularly appeared on my plate next to rice and green beans or on top of a salad. Athena has shown me a new side to the aquatic world and I like it. I've never heard of crazy fish ladies before, but I might be joining the pack. 


I call this shot "Reflection: Part I." 

And this evening I went to a talk by the philosopher Lori Gruen about justice and empathy. It sounds dense and highbrow, but the discussion touched on topics such as: Are zoos humane? What does it feel like to be a tree? Is veganism the next step in human evolution? I found it interesting and exactly what I'm craving from my college experience. I may not be burning bras and refusing to eat honey or cheese, but of all the times in my life to be moving in that direction and thinking radically about those topics, it is now. 

Lori Gruen is a sort of a 21st Century Jane Goodall.
Hearing these big ideas made me think about society, which created an even larger, flashing neon arrow pointing to the fact that we, especially as Americans, have a mentality of disposability. Myself included. I mean, I went to a housing fair to get pre-packaged water and 6.75 ounces of fruit punch in a plastic pouch-- two very disposable items. People in Eugene neighborhoods feed their disposable breadcrumbs to turkeys, which are becoming borderline invasive species here. It's all around us. It's our culture. And sometimes things aren't so klar wie Kloßbrühe. It takes questioning what we are doing, what our organizations and governments are doing, and what the world is doing to get to the bottom of things. That said, I'll leave die Kirche im Dorf. I have meinen Senf dazugegeben. Finals are right around the corner, so for now it's time to study!