Sunday, December 27, 2015

I'll Be Home For Christmas (And Hanukkah)


I hope everyone had a delicious, safe, and jolly holiday and are looking forward to the new year— I certainly am! But before launching into 2016, I got the opportunity to wrap up this past year sharing laughs, stories, and quality time with family and friends. Not only were the past few weeks a luxurious break from college and responsibility, but they were also the longest amount of time I’ve spent in Salem since the summer before the beginning of my CBYX adventure.

From my family to yours!

The holiday season at home kicked off with potato latkes, homemade applesauce, brisket, and rugelach, meaning only one thing— Hanukkah! Ever since I was little I remember doing some sort of Hanukkah celebration, some years more modest and others more elaborate. Aside from the delectable and authentic homemade feast, it was especially heartwarming to sit at a table surrounded by my parents, brothers, and two of our dear neighbors. Dorm life has been exciting and fun, but there’s nothing quite like that first meal together as a family after a long time apart.

Hanukkah's incomplete without menorah and latkes.

Something else I had been looking forward to was reuniting with some close friends after our three-, four-, or more-month hiatus from one another. Life moves quickly at this age it seems! There were some fairly major topics to catch up on in addition to the trove of stories saved specially to retell in person. Salem has grown over the past few months and continues to pleasantly surprise me, as did my friends. I admit, I wasn’t expecting to whip up a watercolor masterpiece while at the Gov Cup (a local coffeeshop), but it was an experience that popped up spontaneously and one I hope to repeat someday. And who knew I’d be on the Kinfolk magazine parody editorial team?

B. Fupa, Gov Cup Watercolor Part I, 2015, photo
Time with family also lent itself to some new and perhaps unexpected, but thoroughly enjoyable, experiences. From knife skills classes and Star Wars shenanigans to tiger suits for super top aunties and table topics that revealed untold stories, I got to spend quality time with the people I love and wish I could see more often. Even the scrapbooks and old family photos were brought out which is an excellent way to hear some behind the scenes tales!

The Gordon-Nard clan takes Salem!
And any mention of being home for the holidays is incomplete without noting my second home, Aachen. Skyping with my host family, flipping through my trumpet book of German Christmas carols, seeing photos from friends at the Aachener Weihnachtsmarkt— it all makes for a large dose of Fernweh for a Christmas I’ve grown to love in addition to my original traditions. I’ve said this before, sometimes it seems like a terrible mistake to have gone abroad and fallen in love with another culture, another family, and another way of life that are all so far away now, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. No matter where I am I’ll always have some dose of Fernweh for one, or both, of my cities. Be it Aachen or Oregon, it’s overwhelmingly wonderful to know there are two places I can call home. The memories and traditions are different, but love is something that can build lasting bonds regardless of who or where.

Just a few of the people who have been and are important in my life.
Oregon, Aachen, Eugene— they’ve all yielded lasting bonds and communities. Success and happiness in my life have always correlated with a strong sense of community. And I suppose this sentimental time at the end of the year is the best opportunity to say thank you to all of you out there who’ve helped build the communal boat that’s kept me afloat throughout the years. Whether from soccer teammates and coaches, bandmates and directors, classmates, teachers, neighbors, friends, family members, or people I never even knew but looked out for me in ways I’ll never know, thank you. It’s because of all of you I am so excited and hopeful for 2016.

So, on that note... guten Rutsch, happy new year, and scooooo Ducks!